Questions to ask at a university open daySee All Articles
University open days can seem really daunting and confusing, but a really good way to ensure you get what you need out of the experience is to plan your questions and to make sure they are answered. Here are the questions to ask at a university open day in different categories to help you.
Questions about applying for the course
- What are the entry requirements, and can I still get on the course if I don’t get those grades?
- What different qualifications to you accept?
- Are all my qualifications valid? E.G. BTECs, National diplomas, National first certificate etc.
- How do they select their candidates?
- What do you look for in my application and personal statement?
- Is this course available if I defer my place or take a gap year?
- Is there an interview or assessment alongside the application to get accepted?
Questions about career prospects after the course
- What have previous students done after graduating?
- What career prospects does this course offer?
- Will this course make me more employable?
- Are there placements or work experience? If not, are these on offer at any point?
- Are there any postgraduate degree courses that follow on?
- What facilities and guidance are there for this course/department?
- Is it a popular course/subject?
- How many students on average are there per course/class?
Questions about housing, halls and accommodation
- Is my place at Halls guaranteed in my first year?
- Are there accommodation available off-campus but still owned by the university?
- Is my Hall dorm guaranteed if this is my insurance choice?
- Are there any students who don’t get accepted into Halls?
- What does it cost to live in Halls and what does the rent include?
- Are there any extra bills I need to pay for or sort out?
- Do I need to move out every term? What are the moving in and out dates/deadlines?
- am I allowed friends from home or other universities stay when they visit?
- What are the differences of catered and self-catered, and what suits me best?
- Are some rooms bigger than others?
- How quiet are they?
- Can I decorate my room?
- Is there security?
- Can you bring a car to university?
- What happens to students in years two and three?
Questions to ask current or previous students at the university
- What is the best part of university?
- What is the worst part of university?
- Has the university supported you in ways you wanted it to?
- Are there people to talk to about any problem if anything happens?
- How easy is it to make friends?
- Is it difficult to settle in?
- Is Freshers really crazy as it seems?
- I don’t drink, does that matter?
- Are some Halls better than others?
- What is the best part of Halls?
- What is the worst part of Halls?
- How is the course so far?
- Do you like the way the course is taught?
- What is the town or city like?
Questions to ask about Societies, Freshers and activities
- How long does Freshers last for?
- Do students have to move in before Freshers?
- What range of events will be planned for Freshers?
- Does it matter if I don’t drink?
- Who should I contact if I’m having a problem, personal or not, during Freshers?
- Where are the societies based?
- Where can I find out about societies?
- Does it cost to sign up to societies?
- How often do I have to attend society meetings?
- If I am not part of a society can I still attend some of their events?
Questions about all things finance
- What scholarships, bursaries, or fee waivers are there and how do you apply?
- Do you advise working alongside studying?
- How much will I have to work to support myself?
- Where are there good job opportunities around here?
- How much does it cost to live at university?
- What financial costs do I need to make sure I pay on time?
- Any financial advice for when I am studying?
- Is there support in place from the university?
- What should I do if I’m not receiving my student loan until after I start my course?
Career Quiz: What Degree Shall I Study?
Join the 75,000 students that have already found their future career by taking our short 60-second degree quizTake Short Quiz