93897 students are using the Uni Compare app

FAQ: Do I need Health insurance if I’m studying abroad?

Do I need Health insurance if I’m studying abroad?

Health insurance is mandatory for each and every citizen living in Switzerland, that means if you intend to live in the country for longer than three months or you plan to study there, then you must purchase your own health insurance.  This includes students on degree courses that last longer than three months at a time, which most degrees do.

However if you a UK citizen your health insurance is the National Health Service – NHS – and that is valid for the whole continent. You do need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which proves you are covered by health insurance in your home country, and you cannot be refused treatment.

For more on European Health Insurance, check out our useful guide, here:

Student Advice